Is hiring a customs broker a wasted investment?
A common misunderstanding held by businesses, whether old or new, is that they are not able to benefit from the savings in costs coordinated by a customs broker. They feel that they may need to make over $5 Million in revenue in order to receive such benefits and that smaller businesses do not need such a broker.
There are small businesses that apply classification of tariffs seeing it as a customs value and develop contracts that allow for sales to start coming in. Next, a small error in the form of a classification of tariffs may become a bigger problem when larger volumes take over, and there are larger volume transactions taking place across the border.
Where the business is new, it is important to be careful where not using a customs broker. Even though a person may wish to interact with customs authorities directly, it is advised that a customs broker is approached and asked for advice. This is especially true in the initial planning stages of a business to assist in eliminating risks in relation to the business, which is cross-border in nature. If you’re putting your business up for sale in Houston and moving to another country, this blog will prove to be a fascinating read.
How you can add value with a custom broker
- Update customs clearing process
- Make sure that documentation for customs is prepared in an adequate manner
- Figure out the classification of tariffs
- Understand whether your commodity will be allowed
- Making sure that the right duties and taxes are applied to shipments
- Identify whether your commodity is regulated through any other agency or government department
- Understand whether any exemptions apply on the commodity
- Assistance in execution of vendor contracts
In the event a customs broker is not used to conduct business activities as an agent on your behalf, it is vital to understand that during the planning stages, customs brokers can be useful by:
- Insightful advice provided concerning terms
- Origin country sourcing recommendations provided
- Tariff classification and type of entry suggestions and advice given
- Compliance and decision making process assistance
- Providing the best solutions
- Increasing competitive worth
Thus, a customs broker should be consulted with when in the planning stages. This will allow for a variety of benefits to be gained, as have been noted above and will also allow for risk to be identified and mitigated appropriately.
At TruView Business Advisors, we’re constantly offering advisory services. As a major business broker in Houston, we aim to solve problems and engage with a huge number of small, medium, and large businesses. Contact us now to know more!